I decided to try and make my own copy of a antique rabbet plane that I have. The thought being that understanding how they are made might make be more appreciative of how they work.
So I started by carving out the mouth and mortised the channel for the blade to go through. The body is cherry and I glued an additional piece of sapele for the sole. Thought process was the sapele is harder than cherry and would make a longer lasting sole. I used a scrap piece of sapele and planed it smooth after it was glued to the body.
This is the finished plane.
I made the wedge out of another scrap of sallee and it works well.
At the moment I’m using a blade from the original plane will make my own soon. I’m not happy with the laminated bottom of the plane so I am going to try a dovetail secured sole in prototype number 2. By the way it works great. Stay tuned for version 2.